Back to XML editing with XEmacs

Well, I tried to edit my Docbook XML documents with Morphon during the last couple
of days. The simple things, that I did until today were easily and
pleasantly enough done. In particular due to the visual layout of the
document, the orientation in the document was much better.

The main reason, that I switched back to
XEmacs and PSGML were the entities. All my files are named
readme-de.xml and readme-en.xml being
located in different directories. Additionally each directly contains a
file common.dtd, which contains some global definitions
common to both the german and the english version, which is included
in the document by

<!ENTITY % common SYSTEM "common.dtd">
%common;

Now Morphon has the habit to inline the definitions in the file
common.dtd, which removes some of the benefit to keep the
definitions external. However, what annoyed me most is, that the
definitions for my local entities are apparently kept in a global
space, so that definitions of entities from other files ended up in my
current documents. I tried, but I couldn’t get it to work to my
satisfaction. Perhaps I missed some setup.

Additionally, when I had multiple documents open, I quickly lost
track, which two documents I’m currently editing. I.e I have 3 product
documents in 2 languages loaded, which makes 2 times 3 tabs with equal
files names. And since I’ve the work habit, once I’ve inserted a text
in one language, that I’m directly inserting the text in the other
language, I’ve frequently selected the wrong editor tab, when
switching languages.

Anyway, for the time being
I’m back to XEmacs and PSGML.